Meaning of atom
Pronunciation: (at'um), [key]
- muonic atom; kaonic atom.
- the smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element, consisting of a nucleus containing combinations of neutrons and protons and one or more electrons bound to the nucleus by electrical attraction; the number of protons determines the identity of the element.
- an atom with one of the electrons replaced by some other particle:muonic atom; kaonic atom.
- this component as the source of nuclear energy.
- a hypothetical particle of matter so minute as to admit of no division.
- anything extremely small; a minute quantity.
- atom (Thesaurus)