assumption: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-sump'shun), [key]
- something taken for granted; a supposition: a correct assumption.
- the act of taking for granted or supposing.
- the act of taking to or upon oneself.
- the act of taking possession of something: the assumption of power.
- arrogance; presumption.
- the taking over of another's debts or obligations.
- (often cap.) the bodily taking up into heaven of the Virgin Mary.
- (cap.) a feast commemorating this, celebrated on August 15.
- assumption (Thesaurus)