Meaning of assize
Pronunciation: (u-sīz'), [key]
- Usually,a trial session, civil or criminal, held periodically in specific locations in England, usually by a judge of a superior court.
- an edict, ordinance, or enactment made at a session of a legislative assembly.
- an inquest before members of a jury or assessors; a judicial inquiry.
- an action, writ, or verdict of an assize.
- judgment: the last assize; the great assize.
- a statute for the regulation and control of weights and measures or prices of general commodities in the market.
- assize (Thesaurus)