ascend: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-send'), [key]
- to move, climb, or go upward; mount; rise: The airplane ascended into the clouds.
- to slant upward.
- to rise to a higher point, rank, or degree; proceed from an inferior to a superior degree or level: to ascend to the presidency.
- to go toward the source or beginning; go back in time.
- to rise in pitch; pass from any tone to a higher one.
- to go or move upward upon or along; climb; mount: to ascend a lookout tower; to ascend stairs.
- to gain or succeed to; acquire: to ascend the throne.
- ascend (Thesaurus)