artist: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (är'tist), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
- a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor.
- a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
- a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
- a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
- a person who is expert at trickery or deceit: He's an artist with cards.
- an artisan.