Meaning of arrest
Pronunciation: (u-rest'), [key]
- to seize (a person) by legal authority or warrant; take into custody: The police arrested the burglar.
- to catch and hold; attract and fix; engage: The loud noise arrested our attention.
- to check the course of; stop; slow down: to arrest progress.
- to control or stop the active progress of (a disease): The new drug did not arrest the cancer.
- the taking of a person into legal custody, as by officers of the law.
- any seizure or taking by force.
- an act of stopping or the state of being stopped: the arrest of tooth decay.
- any device for stopping machinery; stop.
- in custody of the police or other legal authorities: They placed the suspect under arrest at the scene of the crime.
- arrest (Thesaurus)