argue: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (är'gy), [key]
— v., -gued, -gu•ing.
- to present reasons for or against a thing: He argued in favor of capital punishment.
- to contend in oral disagreement; dispute: The Senator argued with the President about the new tax bill.
- to state the reasons for or against: The lawyers argued the case.
- to maintain in reasoning: to argue that the news report must be wrong.
- to persuade, drive, etc., by reasoning: to argue someone out of a plan.
- to show; prove; imply; indicate: His clothes argue poverty.
- argue (Thesaurus)