Meaning of appropriate
Pronunciation: (adj.u-prō'prē-itv.u-prō'prē-āt&sec), [key]
— adj., v., -at•ed, -at•ing.
- suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, etc.: an appropriate example; an appropriate dress.
- belonging to or peculiar to a person; proper: Each played his appropriate part.
- to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use: The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
- to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
- to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate: He appropriated the trust funds for himself.
- to steal, esp. to commit petty theft.
- appropriate (Thesaurus)