apple: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ap'ul), [key]
- the usually round, red or yellow, edible fruit of a small tree, Malus sylvestris, of the rose family.
- the tree, cultivated in most temperate regions.
- the fruit of any of certain other species of tree of the same genus.
- any of these trees.
- any of various other similar fruits, or fruitlike products or plants, as the custard apple, love apple, May apple, or oak apple.
- anything resembling an apple in size and shape, as a ball, esp. a baseball.
- an ineffectively bowled ball.
- a red capsule containing a barbiturate, esp. secobarbital.
- apple (Thesaurus)