Meaning of appearance
Pronunciation: (u-pēr'uns), [key]
- the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public:Aïda; her first appearance at a stockholders' meeting. the unannounced appearance of dinner guests; the last appearance of Caruso in
- the state, condition, manner, or style in which a person or object appears; outward look or aspect: a table of antique appearance; a man of noble appearance.
- outward show or seeming; semblance: to avoid the appearance of coveting an honor.
- the coming into court of either party to a suit or action.
- outward impressions, indications, or circumstances: By all appearances, he enjoyed himself.
- the sensory, or phenomenal, aspect of existence to an observer.
- an apparition.
- to maintain a public impression of decorum, prosperity, etc., despite reverses, unfavorable conditions, etc.: They tried to keep up appearances after losing all their money.
- to come; arrive: He didn't make an appearance until after midnight.
- to attend a gathering or meeting, esp. for a very short time: The author put in an appearance at the cocktail party on her way to dinner.
- appearance (Thesaurus)