amphitheater: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (am'fu-thē"u-tur, -thē"tur), [key]
- an oval or round building with tiers of seats around a central open area, as those used in ancient Rome for gladiatorial contests.
- any similar place for public contests, games, performances, exhibitions, etc.; an arena, stadium, or auditorium.
- a room having tiers of seats arranged around a central area, in which students and other observers can view surgery, hear lectures, etc.
- the first section of seats in the gallery of a theater.
- a designated section of seats in any part of a theater.
- a level area of oval or circular shape surrounded by rising ground.
- amphitheater (Thesaurus)