Meaning of among
Pronunciation: (u-mung'), [key]
- in, into, or through the midst of; in association or connection with; surrounded by: He was among friends.
- in the midst of, so as to influence: missionary work among the local people.
- with a share for each of: Divide the cigars among you.
- in the number, class, or group of; of or out of: That is among the things we must do.
- by all or with the whole of; by most or with many of: popular among the people.
- by the joint or reciprocal action of: Settle it among yourselves.
- each with the other; mutually: They quarreled among themselves.
- familiar to or characteristic of: a proverb among the Spanish.