Meaning of alpine
Pronunciation: (al'pīn, -pin), [key]
- of, pertaining to, on, or part of any lofty mountain.
- very high; elevated.
- (cap.) of, pertaining to, on, or part of the Alps.
- growing on mountains above the limit of tree growth: alpine plants.
- (often cap.) of or pertaining to downhill skiing or a competitive downhill skiing event. Cf. Nordic (def. 3).
- (cap.)having the features characteristic of an Alpine.
- (cap.)a member of a Caucasoid people found in central Europe and characterized by heavy body build, medium complexion, and straight to wavy hair.
- alpine (Thesaurus)