allow: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-lou'), [key]
- to give permission to or for; permit: to allow a student to be absent; No swimming allowed.
- to let have; give as one's share; grant as one's right: to allow a person $100 for expenses.
- to permit by neglect, oversight, or the like: to allow a door to remain open.
- to admit; acknowledge; concede: to allow a claim.
- to take into consideration, as by adding or subtracting; set apart: to allow an hour for changing trains.
- to say; think.
- to approve; sanction.
- to permit something to happen or to exist; admit (often fol. by of): to spend more than one's budget allows; a premise that allows of only one conclusion.
- to make concession or provision for: to allow for breakage.
- allow (Thesaurus)