Meaning of alligator
Pronunciation: (al'i-gā"tur), [key]
- either of two broad-snouted crocodilians of the genus Alligator, of the southeastern U.S. and eastern China.
- (loosely) any broad-snouted crocodilian, as a caiman.
- a machine for bringing the balls of iron from a puddling furnace into compact form so that they can be handled.
- an enthusiastic fan of swing.
- (of paint, varnish, or the like) to crack and acquire the appearance of alligator hide, as from weathering or improper application to a surface.
- (of a rolled metal slab) to split and curl up and down at one end; fishmouth.
- alligator (Thesaurus)