alkali: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (al'ku-lī"), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -lis, -lies,
- any of various bases, the hydroxides of the alkali metals and of ammonium, that neutralize acids to form salts and turn red litmus paper blue.
- any of various other more or less active bases, as calcium hydroxide.
- (not in technical use) an alkali metal.
- Obs.any of various other compounds, as the carbonates of sodium and potassium.
- a soluble mineral salt or a mixture of soluble salts, present in some soils, esp. in arid regions, and detrimental to the growing of most crops.
- alkali (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.