Meaning of alert
Pronunciation: (u-lûrt'), [key]
- fully aware and attentive; wide-awake; keen: an alert mind.
- swift; agile; nimble.
- an attitude of vigilance, readiness, or caution, as before an expected attack.
- a warning or alarm of an impending military attack, a storm, etc.: We'd just boarded the bus when the alert sounded.
- the period during which such a warning or alarm is in effect.
- on guard against danger; in readiness; vigilant: The state police are on the alert for an escaped convict believed to be in the area.
- to warn (troops, ships, etc.) to prepare for action.
- to warn of an impending raid, attack, storm, etc.: The radio alerted coastal residents to prepare for the hurricane.
- to advise or warn; cause to be on guard: to alert gardeners to the dangers of some pesticides.
- alert (Thesaurus)