ahead: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-hed'), [key]
- in or to the front; in advance of; before: Walk ahead of us.
- in a forward direction; onward; forward: The line of cars moved ahead slowly.
- into or for the future: Plan ahead.
- so as to register a later time: to set the clock ahead.
- at or to a different time, either earlier or later: to push a deadline ahead one day from Tuesday to Monday; to push a deadline ahead one day from Tuesday to Wednesday.
- onward toward success; to a more advantageous position; upward in station: There's a young man who is sure to get ahead.
- He ran ahead of me.
- in front of; before:He ran ahead of me.
- superior to; beyond:materially ahead of other countries.
- in advance of; at an earlier time than:We got there ahead of the other guests.
- Our team is ahead by two runs.
- to be winning:Our team is ahead by two runs.
- to be in a position of advantage; be benefiting:His score in mathematics is poor, but he's ahead in foreign languages.
- ahead (Thesaurus)