Meaning of affirm
Pronunciation: (u-fûrm'), [key]
- to state or assert positively; maintain as true: to affirm one's loyalty to one's country; He affirmed that all was well.
- to confirm or ratify: The appellate court affirmed the judgment of the lower court.
- to assert solemnly: He affirmed his innocence.
- to express agreement with or commitment to; uphold; support: to affirm human rights.
- to state something solemnly before a court or magistrate, but without oath.
- to ratify and accept a voidable transaction.
- (of an appellate court) to determine that the action of the lower court shall stand.
- affirm (Thesaurus)