affectation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (af"ek-tā'shun), [key]
- an effort to appear to have a quality not really or fully possessed; the pretense of actual possession: an affectation of interest in art; affectation of great wealth.
- conspicuous artificiality of manner or appearance; effort to attract notice by pretense, assumption, or any assumed peculiarity.
- a trait, action, or expression characterized by such artificiality: a man of a thousand affectations.
- his affectation of literature.
- strenuous pursuit, desire, or aspiration.
- affection; fondness:his affectation of literature.
- affectation (Thesaurus)