adopt: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-dopt'), [key]
- to choose or take as one's own; make one's own by selection or assent: to adopt a nickname.
- to take and rear (the child of other parents) as one's own child, specifically by a formal legal act.
- to take or receive into any kind of new relationship: to adopt a person as a protégé.
- to select as a basic or required textbook or series of textbooks in a course.
- to vote to accept: The House adopted the report.
- to accept or act in accordance with (a plan, principle, etc.).
- adopt out, to place (a child) for adoption: The institution may keep a child or adopt it out.
- adopt (Thesaurus)