adjourn: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-jûrn'), [key]
- to suspend the meeting of (a club, legislature, committee, etc.) to a future time, another place, or indefinitely: to adjourn the court.
- to defer or postpone to a later time: They adjourned the meeting until the following Monday.
- to defer or postpone (a matter) to a future meeting of the same body.
- to defer or postpone (a matter) to some future time, either specified or not specified.
- to postpone, suspend, or transfer proceedings.
- to go to another place: to adjourn to the parlor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.