Meaning of adjective
Pronunciation: (aj'ik-tiv), [key]
- any member of a class of words that in many languages are distinguished in form, as partly in English by having comparative and superlative endings, or by functioning as modifiers of nouns, as good, wise, perfect.
- pertaining to or functioning as an adjective; adjectival: the adjective use of a noun.
- not able to stand alone; dependent.
- concerning methods of enforcement of legal rights, as pleading and practice (opposed to substantive).
- (of dye colors) requiring a mordant or the like to render them permanent (opposed to substantive).
- adjective (Thesaurus)