Meaning of adhesion
Pronunciation: (ad-hē'zhun), [key]
- the act or state of adhering; state of being adhered or united: the adhesion of parts united by growth.
- steady or devoted attachment, support, etc.; adherence.
- assent; concurrence.
- the molecular force of attraction in the area of contact between unlike bodies that acts to hold them together. Cf. cohesion (def. 2).
- the abnormal union of adjacent tissues.
- the tissue involved.
- the union of normally separate parts.
- the frictional resistance of rails to the tendency of driving wheels to slip.
- Seefactor of adhesion.
- adhesion (Thesaurus)