Adam: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ad'um for 1, 3, 5–8 a&sylpdän' for 2, 4), [key]
- the name of the first man: husband of Eve and progenitor of the human race. Gen. 2:7; 5:1–5.
- 1803–56, French composer of comic opera and ballet music.
- 1730–94, and his brother1728–92, English architects and furniture designers.
- 1700–59, and his brother1705–78, French sculptors.
- a male given name.
- to be unacquainted with: He says hello to us every morning, but we don't know him from Adam.
- the natural tendency toward sin: He attributed his wild outburst to the old Adam in him.
- of or pertaining to the style of architecture, decoration, or furnishings associated with Robert and James Adam, characterized by free adaptation of ancient Roman forms and interiors treated with delicate ornament generally painted in light, vivid colors.
- adam (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.