accident: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ak'si-dunt), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.
- such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.
- any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.
- chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.
- a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.
- any entity or event contingent upon the existence of something else.
- a surface irregularity, usually on a small scale, the reason for which is not apparent.