abutment: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-but'munt), [key]
- a masonry mass supporting and receiving the thrust of part of an arch or vault.
- a force that serves to abut an arch or vault.
- a mass, as of masonry, receiving the arch, beam, truss, etc., at each end of a bridge.
- a mass or structure for resisting the pressure of water on a bridge, pier, or the like.
- each of the parts of a canyon or the like receiving the thrusts of an arch dam.
- a structure for absorbing tensions from reinforcing strands for concrete being prestressed.
- the place where projecting parts meet; junction.
- a tooth or tooth root that supports or stabilizes a bridge, denture, or other prosthetic appliance.
- abutment (Thesaurus)