absolve: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ab-zolv', -solv'), [key]
— -solved, -solv•ing.
- to free from guilt or blame or their consequences: The court absolved her of guilt in his death.
- to set free or release, as from some duty, obligation, or responsibility (usually fol. by from): to be absolved from one's oath.
- to grant pardon for.
- to grant or pronounce remission of sins to.
- to remit (a sin) by absolution.
- to declare (censure, as excommunication) removed.
- absolve (Thesaurus)