Meaning of abortion
Pronunciation: (u-bôr'shun), [key]
- Also calledthe removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy.
- any of various surgical methods for terminating a pregnancy, esp. during the first six months.
- Also calledmiscarriage (def. 3).
- an immature and nonviable fetus.
- abortus (def. 2b).
- any malformed or monstrous person, thing, etc.
- the arrested development of an embryo or an organ at a more or less early stage.
- the stopping of an illness, infection, etc., at a very early stage.
- shambles; mess.
- anything that fails to develop, progress, or mature, as a design or project.
- abortion (Thesaurus)