Money Market Interest Rates and Mortgage Rates, 1980–2002
Updated August 5, 2020 | Infoplease Staff
Below find money market interest and mortgage rates for 1980 through 2002.
|Federal funds, effective rate||13.35%||8.10%||8.10%||5.83%||6.24%||3.88%||1.67%|
|Prime rate charged by banks||15.26||9.93||10.01||8.83||9.23||6.91||4.67|
|Eurodollar deposits, 3-month||14.00||8.27||8.16||5.93||6.45||3.70||1.73|
|Large negotiable CDs:|
|3-month, secondary market||13.07||8.05||8.15||5.92||6.35||3.71||1.73|
|6-month, secondary market||12.94||8.24||8.17||5.98||6.46||3.66||1.81|
|Taxable money market funds2||12.68||7.71||7.82||5.48||5.89||3.67||1.29|
|Tax-exempt money market funds2||n.a.||4.90||5.45||3.39||3.54||2.24||0.94|
|Certificates of deposits (CDs):3|
|U.S. Government securities:|
|3-month Treasury bill||11.39||7.47||7.50||5.49||5.82||3.40||1.61|
|6-month Treasury bill||11.32||7.65||7.46||5.56||5.90||3.34||1.68|
|1-year Treasury bill||10.85||7.81||7.35||5.60||5.78||3.84||1.62|
|New-home mortgage yields5||12.70||11.60||10.05||7.87||7.52||7.00||6.43|
|Conventional, 15-yr. fixed3||n.a.||11.48||9.73||7.39||7.76||6.53||6.02|
|Conventional, 30-yr. fixed3||n.a.||11.85||9.97||7.86||8.08||7.01||6.56|
NOTE: n.a. = not available.
1. Rate for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
2. 12-month return for period ending Dec. 31. Source: iMoneyNet, Inc., Westborough, Mass., Money Market Insight, monthly. Web: www.imoneynet.com .
3. Annual averages. Source: Bankrate, Inc., North Palm Beach, Fla., Bank Rate Monitor, weekly.
4. Averages based on daily closing bid yields in secondary market, bank discount basis.
5. Effective rate (in the primary market) on conventional mortgages, reflecting fees and charges as well as contract rate and assumed, on the average, repayment at end of ten years. Source: U.S. Federal Housing Finance Board, Rates & Terms on Conventional Home Mortgages, Annual Summary.
Source: Except as noted, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Federal Reserve Bulletin, monthly. From Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2003.
|Money Market Interest Rates and Mortgage Rates, 2003–2006||U.S. Economy and the Federal Budget||Farm Income|