Finding an Agent

Updated July 10, 2020 | Infoplease Staff

Most people buy policies through an insurance agent. Get the names of several agents from business associates or family members. Find out what companies they represent, what types of policy they sell, and what licenses they hold.

Insurance agents must be licensed. Those who sell variable products must also register with the National Association of Securities Dealers and need additional state licenses. Insurance agents can earn such designations as Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) and Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow (LUTCF). Agents who are also financial planners could be a Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), or member of The Registry of Financial Planning Practitioners. Many agents belong to the National Association of Life Underwriters (NALU).

Sources +
See also: