Guardians and Wards

Updated July 24, 2020 | Infoplease Staff

The Question:

When a person has been declared incompetent and the court appoints someone to handle their financial and physical affairs, what is that person called?

The Answer:

The legal term for the person placed in charge of an individual's care or their property is "guardian." The individual being cared for is a "ward." When the court appoints someone for this duty, the term is "guardian ad litem."

Here is a link to our encyclopedia for more information about guardians and wards.

-The Editors

Sources +
See also: