Top News Stories from 1911
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize: Tobias M. C. Asser (Holland) and Alfred H. Fried (Austria)More World Statistics...
- First use of aircraft as offensive weapon occurs in Turkish-Italian War. Italy defeats Turks and annexes Libya.
- Chinese Republic proclaimed after revolution overthrows Manchu dynasty. Sun Yat-sen named president. Background: Chinese Dynasties.
- Mexican Revolution: Porfirio Diaz, president since 1877, replaced by Francisco Madero.
- Roald Amundsen becomes first man to reach South Pole. Quiz: Explorers & Adventurers
- U.S. explorer Hiram Bingham discovers Incan city of Machu Picchu.
President: William H. Taft
Vice President: James S. Sherman
Population: 93,863,000More U.S. Statistics...
- Triangle Shirtwaist Company fire in New York; 146 killed. Background: Fires and Explosions
- Supreme Court finds Standard Oil Company (May 15) and American Tobacco Company (May 29) to be in violation of Sherman Antitrust Act. Background: Antitrust, Again
Federal spending: $0.69 billion
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesPhiladelphia A's d. NY Giants (4-2)
Stanley CupOttawa Senators
WimbledonWomen: Dorothea Chambers d. D. Boothby (6-0 6-0)
Men: Tony Wilding d. R. Barrett (6-4 4-6 2-6 6-2 (ret))
Kentucky Derby ChampionMeridian
NCAA Football ChampionsPrinceton (CFRA, HF) (8-0-2) & Penn St. (NCF) (8-0-1)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Maurice Maeterlinck (Belgium)More Entertainment Awards...
- The first feature film is released when the two reels of D.W. Griffith's Enoch Arden are screened together.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: Marie Curie (France), for discovery of elements radium and polonium
Physics: Wilhelm Wien (Germany), for his laws governing the radiation of heat
Physiology or Medicine: Allvar Gullstrand (Sweden), for work on the dioptrics of the eyeMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.