June 2006 Disasters
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- June 9, Arusha, Tanzania: an overloaded bus plunged into a ravine, killing 54 people.
- June 19, Houston, Tex.: eleven inches of rain drenched the Houston area.
- June 22–28, Northeastern United States: a week of heavy rain on the East Coast killed 16 people in storm-related deaths and caused extensive flooding and road damage. Rainfall records were set in many areas with rainfall exceeding 10 to 14 inches.
- June, southern China: the worst flooding in 30 years caused more than 340 storm-related deaths in June
- June, southern United States: a significant drought has persisted across the southern states since October 2005.
See also Recent Volcanic Activity