Synonyms of reference
- 1. mention, reference, remark, comment, input
- usage: a remark that calls attention to something or someone; "she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"
- 2. citation, cite, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation, note, annotation, notation
- usage: a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
- 3. reference point, point of reference, reference, indicator
- usage: an indicator that orients you generally; "it is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved"
- 4. reference book, reference, reference work, book of facts, book
- usage: a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts; "he contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic"
- 5. character, reference, character reference, recommendation, testimonial, good word
- usage: a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; "requests for character references are all too often answered evasively"
- 6. reference, denotation, extension, meaning, substance
- usage: the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"
- 7. reference, consultation, action
- usage: the act of referring or consulting; "reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer"
- 8. reference, source, publication
- usage: a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to; "he carried an armful of references back to his desk"; "he spent hours looking for the source of that quotation"
- 9. address, computer address, reference, code, computer code
- usage: (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored
- 10. reference, meaning, substance
- usage: the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to; "he argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes"
- 1. reference, cite, write, compose, pen, indite
- usage: refer to; "he referenced his colleagues' work"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of reference (Dictionary)