WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. civilization, civilisation, society
- usage: a society in an advanced state of social development (e.g., with complex legal and political and religious organizations); "the people slowly progressed from barbarism to civilization"
- 2. civilization, civilisation, social process
- usage: the social process whereby societies achieve an advanced stage of development and organization
- 3. culture, civilization, civilisation, society
- usage: a particular society at a particular time and place; "early Mayan civilization"
- 4. refinement, civilization, civilisation, excellence
- usage: the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste; "a man of intellectual refinement"; "he is remembered for his generosity and civilization"
All rights reserved.
See also: civilization (Dictionary)