civilization: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (siv"u-lu-zā'shun), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
- those people or nations that have reached such a state.
- any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization.
- the act or process of civilizing or being civilized: Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.
- cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation: The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.
- cities or populated areas in general, as opposed to unpopulated or wilderness areas:the jungle, hundreds of miles from civilization. The plane crashed in
- modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology: After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again.