- 1. challenge, situation, state of affairs
- usage: a demanding or stimulating situation; "they reacted irrationally to the challenge of Russian power"
- 2. challenge, speech act
- usage: a call to engage in a contest or fight
- 3. challenge, questioning, inquiring
- usage: questioning a statement and demanding an explanation; "his challenge of the assumption that Japan is still our enemy"
- 4. challenge, objection
- usage: a formal objection to the selection of a particular person as a juror
- 5. challenge, demand
- usage: a demand by a sentry for a password or identification
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. challenge, dispute, gainsay, contest, contend, repugn
- usage: take exception to; "She challenged his claims"
- 2. challenge, invite, bid
- usage: issue a challenge to; "Fischer challenged Spassky to a match"
- 3. challenge, request, bespeak, call for, quest
- usage: ask for identification; "The illegal immigrant was challenged by the border guard"
- 4. challenge, take exception, object
- usage: raise a formal objection in a court of law
All rights reserved.
See also: challenge (Dictionary)