6 results found
Lawton(Encyclopedia)Lawton, city (1990 pop. 80,561), seat of Comanche co., SW Okla.; inc. 1901. It is a commercial and trade center for the surrounding cotton, wheat, and cattle area. Fort Sill is the largest local civil...
Fort Sill(Encyclopedia)Fort Sill, U.S. military reservation, Comanche co., SW Okla., 4 mi (6.4 km) N of Lawton; est. 1869 by Gen. Philip Sheridan. A 95,000-acre (38,445-hectare) field artillery and missile base, it is the h...
Harris, Thomas Lake(Encyclopedia)Harris, Thomas Lake, 1823–1906, American Christian mystic. Born in England, he was brought to the United States as a child. In 1845 he was called to the pulpit of the Fourth Universalist Society, in...
Paderewski, Ignace Jan(Encyclopedia)Paderewski, Ignace Jan pdrf´sk, Pol. nyäs´ yän pädrf´sk [key], 1860–1941, Polish pianist, composer, and statesman; studied at the Warsaw Conservatory and later with Theodor L...
N. Scott Momaday(Encyclopedia)N. Scott Momaday (Navarre Scott Momaday), 1934–, American writer whose works are reflective of his Kiowa culture, b. Lawton, Okla., B.A. Univ. of New Mexico, 1958, Ph.D. Stanford, 1963. The son of a...
Florida(Encyclopedia)Florida flôr´d, flr´– [key], state in the extreme SE United States. A long, low peninsula between the Atlantic Ocean (E) and the Gulf of Mexico (W), Florida is bordered by Georgia and Alaba...
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- < href ="/encyclopedia/people/arts">Literature and the Arts
- Philosophy and Religion
- Science and Technology
- Social Sciences and the Law
- Sports and Games
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-