Can You Name These Chinese Inventions?
What invention, used for writing, was made in the 2nd century?
- Paper and papermaking were first found in the 2nd century and are from Fangmatan, Tianshui. By the 3rd century, it was the common medium used for writing.
Which of these inventions provided Bronze Age China with stable drinking water?
- During the Bronze Age, China invented the ability to deepwater drill, which helps dig wells. The invention helped gather drinking water and make it accessible.
What practice/invention involves sticking needles in the skin and was invented during the Shang Dynasty?
- During the Shang Dynasty, acupuncture became a common practice to heal pain. The first acupuncture sticks were made from gold.
What type of currency was first used in China?
- During the Shang Dynasty, the banknote was invented in China, allowing sellers to no longer have to use heavy copper coins.
What utensil was invented in China during the Shang Dynasty?
- In 11 BC, chopsticks were first invented using ivory. Historians have also found chopsticks made of bronze.
Which object, now used during celebrations, was made in China?
- Firecrackers, which were first made from exploding bamboo, were invented during the Shang Dynasty. It was used as early as 200 BC.
What type of explosive was invented in 13th century China?
- The wars of the later Song Dynasty saw the first deployment of many weapons that would go on to define warfare across the globe.
What high-flying toy was first made in China?
- Or rather, people think they're used for heat regulation. No one's entirely sure. They also have some minor use in necking.
What game piece, commonly used for gambling, was invented in China in the 9th century?
- Playing cards were first invented in the 9th century. They became popular after printing was more common throughout China.
What restaurant staple was invented in China?
- Restaurant menus were first used during the Song Dynasty. With the high number of tourists and travelers, the idea quickly caught on.