The Eiffel Tower Quiz
When was the Eiffel Tower built?
- 1887-1889. The construction of the Eiffel Tower took two years, two months, and five days.
How tall is the Eiffel Tower?
- This height includes antennas and flagpoles.
Who designed the Eiffel Tower?
- Although Alexandre Gustave Eiffel is often credited for the design, it was his company and his senior engineers who deserve much of the credit.
For what purpose was the Eiffel Tower originally built?
- The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 Exposition Universelle (World's Fair) held in Paris to celebrate the 100th year anniversary of the French Revolution.
How many steps are there to the top of the Eiffel Tower?
- Visitors can only climb by stairs to the second floor. After that, they must take an elevator to reach the top.
How long did the Eiffel Tower hold the record as the world's tallest man-made structure?
- 41 years. It held this record until the completion of the Chrysler Building in New York in 1930.
How often is the Eiffel Tower painted?
- Every 7 years. It takes 60 tons of paint to cover the Eiffel Tower!
Approximately how many people visit the Eiffel Tower each year?
- 7 million. The Eiffel Tower is one of the most visited paid monuments in the world!
What is the name of the restaurant located on the second floor of the Eiffel Tower?
- Le Jules Verne. This restaurant offers a unique Parisian dining experience with an exceptional view of the city.
During World War II, why was the elevator of the Eiffel Tower allegedly sabotaged?
- To prevent Hitler from reaching the top. It's said that the French cut the lift cables so that Hitler would have to climb the steps if he wanted to reach the top.