International Christmas Foods Quiz
What is a classic and festive English dessert?
- The iconic English Christmas pudding was first created in the 14th century and was originally called "frumenty".
What is an unlikely meal eaten in Japan for Christmas?
- People in Japan have been sitting down with fried chicken for Christmas dinner for decades, and enjoy KFC in particular— thanks to the manager of Japan's first KFC in the 1970s, Takeshi Okawara.
What is the name of this Russian dish made of herring, potatoes, carrots, beetroots, boiled eggs, and onion?
- This dressed herring salad dish is a layered Christmas masterpiece for Russians, and can sometimes include a topping of freshly grated apple.
What is the name of a dish that involves a salted and dried sheep’s head, originating from rural Norway?
- Traditionally served with rutabaga and potatoes, diners would start with the eye and ears and then move on to the meat attached to the rest of the skull.
Eaten on Christmas Eve in Italy, what is this tradition called that includes food from the sea?
- Food is often a crucial part of Roman Catholic traditions, and Christmas is no different. This feast includes fish and seafood dishes and is supposed to represent the holy number "seven" in the bible.
In Mexico, what is the name of this classic Christmas dish that is made of salted fish?
- Salted cod, tomatoes, chiles, and potatoes create this hearty and warming dish for the holidays.
What type of poultry traditionally gets cooked in Germany to celebrate Christmas?
- The traditional German Christmas goose is called the Weihnachttsgans and dates back to the Middle Ages and St. Martin's Day, continuing into modern celebrations.
If you live in the Philippines, what type of meat is traditionally cooked whole and eaten for Christmas?
- Christmas in the Philippines is a big deal, and the holiday dinner, called Noche Buena, is no different: the roast pig is the star of the show!
What is the name of this traditional corn dish for those who live in Costa Rica and celebrate Christmas?
- Layered with masa dough and meat filling, the corn husk wrapping makes these into delicious little Christmas cocoons.
What do French Canadians like to prepare for the holiday?
- This delicious savory meat pie is served for Christmas in Quebec and other Canadian provinces, often accompanied by veggies and wine.