vindicate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vin'di-kāt"), [key]
— -cat•ed, -cat•ing.
- to clear, as from an accusation, imputation, suspicion, or the like: to vindicate someone's honor.
- to afford justification for; justify: Subsequent events vindicated his policy.
- to uphold or justify by argument or evidence: to vindicate a claim.
- to assert, maintain, or defend (a right, cause, etc.) against opposition.
- to claim for oneself or another.
- to regain possession, under claim of title of property through legal procedure, or to assert one's right to possession.
- to get revenge for; avenge.
- to deliver from; liberate.
- to punish.
- vindicate (Thesaurus)