understand: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (un"dur-stand'), [key]
— v., -stood, -stand•ing.
- to perceive the meaning of; grasp the idea of; comprehend: to understand Spanish; I didn't understand your question.
- to be thoroughly familiar with; apprehend clearly the character, nature, or subtleties of: to understand a trade.
- to assign a meaning to; interpret: He understood her suggestion as a complaint.
- to grasp the significance, implications, or importance of: He does not understand responsibility.
- to regard as firmly communicated; take as agreed or settled: I understand that you will repay this loan in 30 days.
- to learn or hear: I understand that you are going out of town.
- to accept as true; believe: I understand that you are trying to be truthful, but you are wrong.
- to construe in a particular way: You are to understand the phrase literally.
- to supply mentally (something that is not expressed).
- to perceive what is meant; grasp the information conveyed: She told them about it in simple words, hoping they would understand.
- to accept tolerantly or sympathetically: If you can't do it, I'll understand.
- to have knowledge or background, as on a particular subject: He understands about boats.
- to have a systematic interpretation or rationale, as in a field or area of knowledge: He can repeat every rule in the book, but he just doesn't understand.
- understand (Thesaurus)