WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. understand
- usage: know and comprehend the nature or meaning of; "She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
- 2. understand, realize, realise, see
- usage: perceive (an idea or situation) mentally; "Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
- 3. understand, read, interpret, translate, understand
- usage: make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
- 4. understand, infer, believe
- usage: believe to be the case; "I understand you have no previous experience?"
- 5. sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise, understand
- usage: be understanding of; "You don't need to explain--I understand!"
All rights reserved.
See also: understand (Dictionary)