Meaning of throttle
Pronunciation: (throt'l), [key]
— n., v., -tled, -tling.
- Also calleda lever, pedal, handle, etc., for controlling or manipulating a throttle valve.
- the throat, gullet, or windpipe, as of a horse.
- at maximum speed.
- to stop the breath of by compressing the throat; strangle.
- to choke or suffocate in any way.
- to compress by fastening something tightly around.
- to silence or check as if by choking: His message was throttled by censorship.
- to obstruct or check the flow of (a fluid), as to control the speed of an engine.
- to reduce the pressure of (a fluid) by passing it from a smaller area to a larger one.
- throttle (Thesaurus)