Meaning of third
Pronunciation: (thûrd), [key]
- next after the second; being the ordinal number for three.
- being one of three equal parts.
- of, pertaining to, or operating at the gear transmission ratio at which the drive shaft speed is greater than that of second gear for a given engine crankshaft speed, but not as great as that of fourth gear, if such exists: third gear.
- rated, graded, or ranked one level below the second: He's third engineer on the ship.
- a third part, esp. of one ().
- the third member of a series.
- third gear: Don't try to start a car when it's in third.
- a person or thing next after second in rank, precedence, order: The writer of the best essay will receive a gold medal, the second a silver, and the third a bronze.
- the third part of the personal property of a deceased husband, which in certain circumstances goes absolutely to the widow.
- a widow's dower.
- a tone on the third degree from a given tone (counted as the first).
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
- Usually,a product or goods below second quality. Cf.(def. 19), (def. 23).
- in the third place; thirdly.
- third (Thesaurus)