- 1. one-third, third, tierce, common fraction, simple fraction
- usage: one of three equal parts of a divisible whole; "it contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
- 2. third base, third, position
- usage: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the third of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate); "he is playing third"
- 3. third, rank
- usage: following the second position in an ordering or series; "a distant third"; "he answered the first question willingly, the second reluctantly, and the third with resentment"
- 4. third, interval, musical interval
- usage: the musical interval between one note and another three notes away from it; "a simple harmony written in major thirds"
- 5. third gear, third, gear, gear mechanism
- usage: the third from the lowest forward ratio gear in the gear box of a motor vehicle; "you shouldn't try to start in third gear"
- 6. third base, third, base, bag
- usage: the base that must be touched third by a base runner in baseball; "he was cut down on a close play at third"
- 1. third, 3rd, tertiary, ordinal (vs. cardinal)
- usage: coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. third, thirdly
- usage: in the third place; "third we must consider unemployment"
All rights reserved.
See also: third (Dictionary)