substance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sub'stuns), [key]
- that of which a thing consists; physical matter or material: form and substance.
- a species of matter of definite chemical composition: a chalky substance.
- the subject matter of thought, discourse, study, etc.
- the actual matter of a thing, as opposed to the appearance or shadow; reality.
- substantial or solid character or quality: claims lacking in substance.
- consistency; body: soup without much substance.
- the meaning or gist, as of speech or writing.
- something that has separate or independent existence.
- something that exists by itself and in which accidents or attributes inhere; that which receives modifications and is not itself a mode; something that is causally active; something that is more than an event.
- the essential part of a thing; essence.
- a thing considered as a continuing whole.
- possessions, means, or wealth: to squander one's substance.
- the articulatory or acoustic reality or the perceptual manifestation of a word or other construction (distinguished from form).
- a standard of weights for paper.
- That is in substance how it appeared to me.
- concerning the essentials; substantially.
- actually; really:That is in substance how it appeared to me.
- substance (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.