WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. substance, matter, part, portion, component part, component, constituent
- usage: the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists; "DNA is the substance of our genes"
- 2. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 3. meaning, substance, idea, thought
- usage: the idea that is intended; "What is the meaning of this proverb?"
- 4. substance, physical entity
- usage: material of a particular kind or constitution; "the immune response recognizes invading substances"
- 5. means, substance, capital
- usage: considerable capital (wealth or income); "he is a man of means"
- 6. message, content, subject matter, substance, communication
- usage: what a communication that is about something is about
- 7. substance, matter
- usage: a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties; "shigella is one of the most toxic substances known to man"
All rights reserved.
See also: substance (Dictionary)